First Published: Jan. 29, 2018
What you (probably) already know:
Tropical General Investments (TGI) Group is a global conglomerate with a majority of its investments based in emerging markets. Across markets (globally), TGI Group owns over a hundred leading brands in Fast Moving Consumer Goods, Agricultural Inputs, Industrial Chemicals, Homecare Products and Pharmaceuticals.
What you may not know:
- TGI Group was founded four decades ago and has been headquartered in Nigeria since.
- The Chairman of TGI Group, Mr. Cornelis G. Vink (MFR) was decorated with National Honors as the Member of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by the late President Musa Yar’adua.
- TGI Group has subsidiaries in the following sectors:
- Food (rice, vegetable oils, frozen foods, etc.)
- Agriculture (cash crops, inputs and implements)
- Agriculture (poultry, livestock and aquaculture)
- Chemicals (industrial and consumer/homecare)
- Fish Trawling
- Shipping and Marine Services
- Oil and Gas (specialized oil field services)
- Real Estate
- Most of the businesses have evolved from the model of importation and distribution of finished goods to backward integration through local origination, processing, branding, distribution and in some cases, exportation.
- CHI Limited – one of our founding companies was in February 2019, fully acquired by The Coca Cola Company.
- WACOT Rice Mill -in Argungu, Kebbi State- is the largest parboiled rice mill in Africa.
- TGI Group’s CORMART is one of foremost and largest manufacturers of Styrene-Acrylic in Nigeria – a key raw material for the paint industry.
- CHI Farms is one of the largest suppliers of ‘Day-Old Chicks’ in Nigeria.
- CHI Pharamceuticals is the youngest pharmaceutical company in West Africa to obtain the World Health Organization (WHO)’s Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) certification. Only eight pharmaceutical companies have the certification in the region.
- FLUDOR Benin has the largest Cashew processing plant in the Republic of Benin, employing over 1000 women, who make up 85% of the entire workforce.
- Yes, we said ten, but who doesn’t like a freebie? We have a big announcement coming soon!